The Country - Christmas in the Philippines
Read the country facts, learn about the Christmas traditions in Philippines and then watch the video.
Facts about Philippines
- The Philippines is an island nation located in South East Asia.
- It is made up of 7107 islands.
- Its capital is Manila and its currency is the Philippine Peso.
- The official languages of Philippines are Tagalog and English.
- It has a very hot and humid climate and is home to a diverse range of birds, animals and rain forests.
Christmas traditions in Philippines
- In Tagalog, Merry Christmas is Maligayang Pasko.
- Filipino homes are often decorated with the traditional Parol Christmas Lantern, which is a bamboo pole frame with a lighted star.
- On Christmas Eve, Filipino families go to church for the ‘simbang gabi’ the Christmas Eve Mass.
- This is followed by Noeche Buena, which is a mid night feast consisting of roasted pig, ham, fruit salad, rice cakes, steamed rice and other sweets as well as many kinds of drinks.